Cobian Backup is a simplified approach to back up and restore your data in a scheduled manner. You can connect the application to a domain or a local system account and schedule the execution of the backup process as per your set up.
The following is the detailed procedure for installing and setting up Cobian Backup.
Step 1: Downloading Cobian application
Click here to download the application. The whole setup is around 18.7 MB. Save the .exe in any of the local drives.
Step 2: Installing Cobian application
- Double-click cbSetup.exe, and click Run.
- In the setup window, click Next.
- Click I accept the conditions, and then click Next.
- Type or locate the installation path, and click Next.
- Under installation type select As a service.
- under service options:
- if you are on a domain, select Use a regular account and provide your Username and Password to prevent any Domain controller restrictions.
- if it is a stand-alone PC, select Use Local System account.
- Click Next to continue and install
- Once installation process is complete, click Done.
Step 3: Setting up backup
- Open the application.
- Click Task and select New task or press Ctrl+A.
- Under the General tab, enter Task name (for example, Backup001) and click Files.
- Under Source, click Add, select Files, directory, FTP or manual from the list. Select the folder where Tally data is saved; for example, C:\Tally.ERP9\Data.
- Click Destination and select the path where the data needs to be saved. Select any existing folder or create a new folder, and click OK.
- Click the Schedule tab. You can schedule the frequency of the backup with different intervals. Choose the schedule depending up on the updates you need.
- Click the Dynamics tab. Select number of backups you need under Full copies to keep. For instance if you backup daily, you can keep last 3 backups – but again it depends upon your need.
- Click the Archive tab. Select the compression type; that is, you can use Zip, 7zip, or No compression. Note: 7zip provides better compression. You can encrypt files up to AES 256 bits.
- Click the Filter tab. You need to filter the choice; that is, a specific set of files, File size, Date Modified, and so on. You can exclude files (*.tsf) from scheduled backup. User can continue accessing the data during the backup process.
- Click Add and browse for .tsf files from Tally Data folder. Next, click OK. Note: During Backup process no need to stop working on Tally Since the tsf files are already excluded.
- Click the Advanced tab and enable required options as per your need.
- Click OK.
As per the scheduled time, day and date, backup will take automatically. Cobian application shows the backup status and backup size as shown below:
Backup taken from Cobian application to the destination location will appear as shown below.
13. In order to restore the data, right-click the data backup (taken from Cobian application), and then click 7-Zip > Extract here.
The data is extracted in the folder with the same naming convention used in Tally.ERP9 (for example, 10000, 10001).